The Apostolic Christian church of Morton was first built in 1867. It was a small white frame building that was built on the corner of what is now Jefferson and Third streets. The church was lighted by kerosene lamps that hung from the ceiling. By 1891, the first little church building was too small so a larger one was built on the same site. To the rear of the building was a row of stalls which accommodated the horses. On December 12, of 1912 this church was burned to the ground by an arsonist.
Construction of a new church building began in 1913. The new church was built at the church’s present location on Jefferson Street and had a seating capacity of over 700. A number of physical improvements and expansions have been made over the years. On June 9, 1989 the church was again burned by an arsonist. While the actual fire damage was restricted to the dining room and kitchen, smoke and heat caused damage to nearly all parts of the church. After the fire, the church was restored with an expansion to the kitchen area and substantial remodeling within the building.
The Fellowship Hall is located at 2201 Veterans Road, in Morton, IL. Built in 1975, a major remodeling and expansion that was completed in 2007. The Fellowship Hall is used for church-related activities such as wedding receptions, benefit dinners, singings, and presentations.
The church has two cemeteries located in Morton. The “old” church cemetery is located on the corner of Queenwood Road and Robin Avenue. The first burial there took place in 1876. Burials are no longer conducted there. The current church cemetery is located at the corner of Fourth Street and Birchwood Road. It was opened in 1910.
ACR is a 128-bed skilled nursing center certified for Medicare and Medicaid to provide short-term care, long-term care, and complete rehabilitation services. A licensed Special Care Unit provides memory support for Alzheimer's disease and other dementias. This ministry's mission is "Honoring God by Serving Others," and is supported by the Morton and Tremont Apostolic Christian Churches. In 1978, the Morton church purchased the original "Restmor," which was relocated on April 15, 2008, to a newly constructed long-term care facility at 1500 Parkside Ave. ACR is affiliated with The Parkside of Morton, a 48-unit independent living community for age 55+, located on the ACR campus.
Woodland Village Designed to provide short-term, long-term, and hospice care, it is licensed as “skilled nursing,” which is among the highest levels of licensed nursing care available in the state of Illinois.
Evergreen Village Designed to provide memory support for Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias, it is licensed as “skilled nursing” and designated as a Special Care Unit by the state of Illinois. Evergreen Village offers specialized programming, a RoamAlert® system for wander prevention, a protected outdoor courtyard, and a family Alzheimer’s support group.
The Oaks Designed to provide licensed Sheltered Care services, a form of Assisted Living.
ACR admits residents under the care of a physician without regard to race, color, religion, or national origin. Residents were served for the first 30 years at 935 E. Jefferson in Morton. On April 15, 2008, ACR residents and staff moved to our new community at 1500 Parkside Avenue. The facility is sponsored by the Morton and Tremont, Illinois Apostolic Christian churches.
The Parkside of Morton, Inc.
“The Parkside” is a 48-unit Christian retirement community for ages 55 and above. Phase 1, consisting of the first 33 units along with all the public areas, was completed in 1992. The final 15 units of Phase 2 were added two years later. There are 42 two-bedroom units and 6 one-bedroom units. They range in size from 684 to 1,326 sq. ft. Singings, exercise classes, and other activities are enjoyed in a Christian group setting. The Parkside functions with its own separate board of directors and is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit corporation. The Parkside admits residents without regard to race, color, religion, or national origin. Managed by Apostolic Christian Restmor, Inc.